Getting a new hot tub or spa can be a tremendously exciting period of time. The private luxury of a backyard oasis where you can relax and unwind with a hot soak is an unparalleled way to spend a few hours. When it comes to getting your spa or hot tub properly set-up here is the 411:
When starting up a new spa or hot tub the right chemicals to add first off the bat and then in ongoing weekly maintenance include:
- 2-4 tablespoons of chlorine
- 4 tablespoons of shock
- 1 teaspoon of alkaline pH down at a time to lower pH as necessary
- Add 1-3 tablespoons of chlorine every two to four days to maintain good reading
- Adjust chlorine if reading is 0 by adding 4 tablespoons
- Continue to shock once a week or after heavy use
- To lower pH, add 1 teaspoon of alkaline pH and wait 20 minutes to check. Repeat as necessary.
- If water is cloudy, make necessary chemical adjustments and wait 24-48 hours for water to circulate and clarity to return.
- Always run all pumps for at least 20 minutes with cover off.
- Always wait at least one full hour after adding chemicals before using spa or hot tub.
Professionals believe that a regular care routine is the easiest way to ensure your hot tub or spa performs best. Ongoing maintenance tasks include:
- Draining and refilling the spa every 3-6 months
- Performing a deep clean of the filter system every 1-2 months
- Replace micro-filters every 120 -180 days
- Replace large filter every 18-20 months
If you have any questions, contact our professional team to help you find the answers you need. Also, don’t forget to enjoy your spa!